The Airports Authority of India (AAI) has designated 25 airports for lease from 2022 to 2025, including Odisha’s Biju Patnaik International Airport (BPIA).
Details about 25 AAI Airports including Bhubaneswar Airport have been designated for leasing till 2025
In a written reply to a question in Rajya Sabha today, the Minister of State in the Ministry of Civil Aviation Gen. (Dr) V. K. Singh (Retd) stated that according to the National Monetization Pipeline (NMP), 25 Airports Authority of India (AAI) airports namely Bhubaneshwar, Varanasi, Amritsar, Trichy, Indore, Raipur, Calicut, Coimbatore, Nagpur, Patna,
AAI has long-term leased eight of its airports under Public Private Partnership (PPP) for operation, management, and development. The following airports and concessionaires are listed:
- Indira Gandhi International Airport, Delhi – M/s Delhi International Airport Limited (DIAL)
- Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport, Mumbai – M/s Mumbai International Airport Limited (MIAL)
- Chaudhary Charan Singh International Airport, Lucknow – M/s Lucknow International Airport Limited (LIAL)
- Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel International Airport, Ahmedabad – M/s Ahmedabad International Airport Limited (AIAL)
- Mangaluru International Airport – M/s Mangaluru International Airport Limited (MaIAL)
- Jaipur International Airport – M/s Jaipur International Airport Limited (JIAL)
- Lokpriya Gopinath Bordoloi International Airport, Guwahati – M/s Guwahati International Airport Limited (GIAL)
- Thiruvananthapuram International Airport – M/s TRV-Kerala International Airport Limited (TIAL)
AAI airports are leased in the public interest for improved administration, leveraging private sector efficiency and investment. The ultimate beneficiaries of improved airport infrastructure and facilities generated by the private partner who maintains, manages, and develops the leased airport under PPP are the states and passengers.
Airports have evolved as a hub of economic activity, with a multiplier effect on the state’s economy. The cash generated by the leased airports is also used to build airport infrastructure around the country, according to the minister in the Rajya Sabha.