Mumbai Airport becomes the first in India to introduce hybrid technology by switching to 100% green sources of electricity

Mumbai Airport becomes the first in India to introduce hybrid technology

Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport (CSMIA) in Mumbai said that it had completely transitioned to green sources for all of its energy requirements, making it one of India’s only airports that were completely sustainable. This environmentally friendly program at CSMIA is a part of the airport’s attempts to lessen its carbon footprint and advance toward “Net Zero” emissions.

A brief about Mumbai Airport becomes the first in India to introduce hybrid technology by switching to 100% green sources of electricity;

CSMIA, which was the first in India to introduce hybrid technology that only uses green energy as of April 2022, revealed in a press release that it now purchases about 5% of the airport’s electricity needs through the onsite solar generation and the remaining 95% from other green sources like hydro & wind energy.

As a sign of the transition to a sustainable future, the CSMIA saw an increase in the purchase of green energy, from 57% in April 2022 to 98% from May to July. However, the airport reached its goal of using only renewable energy in August 2022. To achieve “Net Zero Carbon Emission” by 2029, CSMIA has created a plan in accordance with its objective.

“We are incredibly pleased to achieve this crucial milestone in our road towards achieving a sustainable future for CSMIA,” the CSMIA spokeswoman stated. Since quick victories do not have a significant environmental impact, CSMIA has always been determined to concentrate on long-term transformations.

The spokesperson continued, “As CSMIA strives to achieve net-zero status by 2029, this historic event further motivates us to stay committed to our efforts in improving the operational effectiveness of the airport while running on completely renewable energy.”

A 10Kwp Hybrid SolarMill made up of 2 Kwp TurboMill and 8 Kwp Solar PV modules was deployed by CSMIA in April of this year, increasing its capacity utilization of green energy and generating an expected minimum of 36 kWh per day. Solar and wind energy are combined to create power via this hybrid renewable energy product.

By replacing cooling tower fills with energy-efficient fills, replacing conventional lamps with LEDs, and other energy-saving measures, CSMIA, which has been making progress in reducing carbon emissions in accordance with its commitments under its Environment Social & Governance policy, hopes to cut emissions by about 3,000 tonnes of GHG.

In order to reduce the energy consumption of the air conditioning system and convert conventional fuel vehicles to electric vehicles, the airport also plans to implement an Internet of Things (IoT) based temperature monitoring system at Terminal 2. (EV).

The CSMIA also planned a number of environmentally friendly innovations and initiatives, such as green building designs and operational changes, which enabled it to meet ACA Level 3+ ‘NEUTRALITY’ in 2016–17 and is currently in an advanced stage of achieving ACA Level 4+ transition.

Leave a Reply